Sunday, January 31, 2010

Rider profile: Ross Dobson


"Hey Roscoe, were going to do something special for the 10th anniversary of the 'the Ride' in 2010", was how Barry Walton opened up the phone call.

Which he followed up with a clipped "Ya interested?""Sure" I confidently responded. "Where to mate?"."The Barossa back to Tamworth over three weeks, you wanna come?""Oh you bet!" was how I got myself into the challenge.1700 kilometers in 21 days on a mountain bike, about a third of the distance across Australia, on the dirt back roads fundraising for the New England North West Rescue Helicopter Service.


I had completed four of the previous nine rides whilst residing in Armidale through most of the Noughties, originally becoming involved through the calculated provocation of ABC Local Radio New England North West's David Evans.With the initial excited and impetuous response to Barry a distant memory, now residing in 'Our Nation's Capital', Canberra and having missed the last four rides, not to mention the middle age spread gathering bulk around my waist, I bravely (stupidly) committed to raise funds, get fit and complete the ride.

So, why does a Canberran ride to raise funds for the Tamworth based chopper? Well, I can easily appreciate the profound benefit of fast expert medical assistance being rendered in the field. It is only a short extension of the imagination to envisage having an accident on my bike an hour or two into the bush and have the chopper land close by and transport me to hospital, or just as easy to think of my relatives and friends at work or play in the New England North West who may have the misfortune to need the chopper.

This ride brings up my fifth, it will be good to renew acquaintances with Goog, Steve, Shane and Bob, but Barry had better make sure I get a badge :)

2 comments:

  1. Nice picture, Ross!
    Glad to see you are still riding for our many friends and also relatives in the New England & North West.
    - Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting blog. Alot of blogs I see these days don't really provide anything that I'm interested in, but I'm most definately interested in this one. Just thought that I would post and let you know. exquisite air charter

    ReplyDelete