Monday, March 22, 2010

Nearing the end, almost

THE Barossa Valley to Tamworth Mountain Bike Challenge welcomed two new riders, Tracey Evans and Julie Lonergan to its 2010 epic yesterday.Team Rylstone, as they are known, joined in for a 90km leg along the Golden Highway. As of Dubbo, the riders had clocked up just over 91 hours since leaving Lyndoch (in the Barossa Valley) on Saturday, March 6.More than 1400 kms have been traversed with Tracey and Julie eager to join in.Tracey is a registered nurse in Rylstone and riding her third charity ride."Been on the last two September rides," she said of the regular seven day rides."Wanted to do these for personal reasons and the fitness", she said."They've been great, fantastic."Julie Lonergan runs a vineyard and guesthouse in Rylstone."I like cycling", she said in answer to why she is on the charity ride."And Mrs Evans invited me. I was a road cyclist though".Her previous racing experience stood her in good stead for yesterday's first leg.It's fun," she said."I did the September one last year. We've got three days now on this, gives you something to aim for".Yesterday's leg was a short for stage this writer. I completed just 6kms after riding 70kms the previous day. Arriving in Dubbo had never felt so good on Monday, after Rick Lavers, Bob Freeman and Mick McLoughlin ensured I climbed most hills.At one stage I had to walk one monster undulation with Bob Freeman carrying my bike the last 50 metres.Today is a short leg of about 60km through some dirt roads and over some big hills to Coolah from Dunedoo.I've ridden 592km so far. Another 8km would be nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment